Hi everyone, my name's Devonte James (he/him); I have just completed my Business Management course at LSBU - achieving a 1st Class. I have a British Caribbean background and have found significant belonging in the diverse home of LSBU. Connecting with students from different backgrounds has been great personal development.
How I got involved in the SU
My introduction to the Students' Union was during the SU election - in my first year. I went for BAME Officer and attained this position. The BAME role allowed me to embed myself into the experience of students; I did this through communicating with various BAME student groups, attending university meetings on BAME-related topics, attending SU Council meetings, and representing BAME students at the NUS level.
In my second year - in the next SU elections - I went for Chair of Union Council, a position I did not get. It did not discourage me, as I swiftly turned my attention to the role I aimed to achieve in the SU elections in my third year (#alwaysasolution #wegoagain).
I volunteered in the SU Freshers planning, which led me to learn a fantastic opportunity to work at the SU Front Desk as a Front of House Assistant - a paid role. This was a fulfilling experience; it was an amazing way to gain student insight whilst working on my degree; I feel the ability to have a - part-time-paid job in the SU worked in line with my degree achievement through the sense of belonging and purpose it gave me.
During the springtime of my third year, I ran for President of the SU in the SU elections. A position I attained and hold now ( #wefoundasolution #wewentagain!)
Increase Student Connection and Sense of Belonging
Enhance Course Experience for Students
Active Student Co-Creation, Getting Student Insight Regularly
Increase Student Employment
Improve Support for International Students
Roles and Responsibilities
- Representing the voice of all students to the University and Nationally
- Ensuring the union is being well run to best meet the needs of all students
- Oversee communications to students from both the union and university
- Sit on university meetings and boards to ensure students' best interests are represented
- Lead the sabbatical officer team to uphold our values, processes and constitution
- Chair the Board of trustees and ensure we are compliant and meeting our strategic objectives